Finally decided to jump off my high horse and made a recipe from scratch. This turkey quinoa meatloaf sounded like exactly the dish I needed to break my usual routine and something I would definitely love. And let me tell you, it turned out DELICIOUS.
Below is the recipe I used from AllRecipes.com. Heads up: It does require about 50 minutes to bake but it is really not that difficult to make. Sides I included with it: Corn & Cucumber, Yellow Peppers, Goat Cheese and Onion Salad. Overall, this ingredients were super healthy (quinoa is a the new super food!) and really filling. It turned out pretty moist too!
Original recipe (makes 5 servicnings):
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (5 total):
Calories – 259 cal
Fat – 11g
Carbs – 15.2g
Protein – 25.3g